Isabelle's Water Kefir Series
In this article I will teach you how to make water kefir and if you follow me on social media you’ll know that I have been making water kefir like crazy after an amazing neighbor gifted us with some grains.
Meet the healthy soda replacement you have been looking for! Water kefir is sweet, tangy, and fruity! Not only this drink is super easy to make which is pretty important to be me as a working woman. It is also a probiotic drink and tastes similar to Kombucha just a little milder. After a few brews, it becomes fizzy and sparkly!
It is dairy-free and cost effective to make. So lets just jump right in and get brewing!
How To BrewRecipe
- 4 quarts of water
- 1/4 cup organic sugar
- 1/4 cup water kefir grains
- First you will want to collect 2 one-gallon jars, 2 four-quart jars, plastic measuring cups, a plastic spoon/spatula, a plastic strainer, a plastic funnel, a rubber band, and a coffee filter. NOTE: these have to be plastic, as metal is bad for the kefir.
- Add 1/4 cup of sugar to each of the four-quart jars, fill jar with water and stir with spoon. Set both aside.
- Add 1/4 cup grains to both gallon jars. Once the sugar dissolves in the four-quart jars, pour the contents into each gallon jar. Cover top of the gallon jar with a coffee filter and keep in place with a rubber band.
- Set aside for two days. (if it is winter or you live in a cold climate, you can let it brew for up to 5 days but be careful. Check it daily so it does not brew too long or the grains will dissolve).
To make your next batch, keep 1/4 cup of the brewed kefir with the grains.
P.S. Stay tuned for the next article in our Water Kefir Series, where I teach you how to bottle and flavor your kefir!